New to the Florida renewal process? Wondering what CE Broker is and how it is used for Florida massage therapists?
What is CE Broker?
CE Broker is a continuing education tracking system Florida Department of Health uses to track and verify continuing education for licensed health care professionals.
Why should I get a CE Broker account?
You have likely received a postcard from the Department of Health, or a CE Provider, telling you about a “new” process for this renewal where your CE hours will be checked at the time of renewal. This means all of your continuing education hours need to be in the CE Broker system at the time you renew. This process is not any different than the 2013 renewal. There is no need to panic, but you should have a CE Broker account so that you can check your hours now and self-report any unreported hours, if needed.
There are 3 options for a CE Broker Account
- Free or “Basic” Account
- Professional ($29/year)
- Concierge ($99/year)
I have the Basic account and find it to be sufficient for my needs. I have talked to colleagues who enjoy the peace of mind their professional account provides (digital storage of continuing education and extra account details).
Set Up Your CE Broker Account
To set up your account you will need:
- Your license number
- A credit card (Optional – if you decide to get a paid subscription)
Steps to Getting a CE Broker Account
- Go to CE Broker
- Choose the type of account you need
- Enter your license number
This link will take you to the three account options instead of the 7 day free trial page for the professional account.
Check Your Reported Hours
Now you can check to see which hours have been reported for your license number.
Once you login, your screen will look something like this:
As you can see, I am 100% complete for this renewal. This means all my requirements have been completed and reported. I can go renew my license on the Board of Massage website. You may be 0%, 50% or 75% complete.
If you scroll down the page a little further, you will see all the hours that have been reported for you:
Use the checklist provided earlier in the guide to see which requirements you have left to complete or report.
If you do not see a course listed that you have taken, here is what you can do to fix it and why this happens.
Self-Reporting Hours to CE Broker
There are two situations where Florida massage therapists need to self-report continuing education hours.
Your CE Provider is an NCBTMB-Approved Provider that is not registered with CE Broker.
Your Florida Board-Approved Provider has not yet entered your continuing education hours into CE Broker.
Maybe you are like me and you do not live full-time in Florida and your CE’s were obtained from an NCBTMB approved provider, but not a Florida-Approved provider registered with CE Broker. The good news is that hours obtained from an NCBTMB-Approved provider do count towards your renewal (Read 64B7-28.010 (9) Requirements for Board Approval of Continuing Education Programs).
The bad news is that NCBTMB providers are not always Florida Board-Approved providers that are registered with CE Broker. These providers do not submit your hours to CE Broker for you. So, you need to self-report your hours.
Back to the good news – the process of self-reporting is quite simple. If you find the process of reporting your hours too difficult, in the future ask your CE Provider if they submit to CE Broker, or check CE Broker for a list of approved providers. Providers registered with CE Broker are required to submit your hours (within 90 days).
Florida approved providers have up to 90 days to enter your completed credits. Although most do not take this long, you may want or need to renew your license before they have the chance to enter your completed hours. In this case, you will need to report your hours yourself.
What You Will Need to Begin the Self-Reporting Process:
- Your CE Broker login User ID and password
- CE Transcripts or Certificates for courses you need to self-report
You will need the following information on hand:
- The provider’s name or their CE Broker number, if applicable (begins with #xx-xxxxx)
- Course name or CE Broker tracking number (tracking number looks like #xx-xxxxx)
- Number of hours you completed
- Date the course was completed
- You will either need to fax the certificate or transcript in during this process, or attach/upload a scanned/downloaded copy. I highly suggest you scan or take a screenshot of your certificates or transcripts before you begin the reporting process. It will make the process faster.
Steps to Self-Reporting Hours Online:
- Click here to go to CE Broker to begin the reporting process.
- After you are logged in, click on “Report Hours”.
- Choose the type of continuing education provider. Here is what your choices will be:
- Organized and accepted courses of study offered by providers approved by the NCBTMB
- Continuing education approved by the Florida Board of Massage Therapy
- CPR course
- Organized courses offered by a Board Approved Massage School
- Continuing education courses sponsored by the American Massage Therapy Association or the American Massage Therapy Association Florida Chapter
- Continuing education courses sponsored by the Florida State Massage Therapy Association
- Click “Begin” next to the type of provider you will be reporting.
- You will need to provide the:
- Name of the provider
- Name of the course
- Date you completed the course
- Amount of hours you completed in the correct category
- Medical Errors
- Professional Ethics
- Laws and Rules of the Board
- Home study courses should go in this category if they are not HIV, Medical Errors, Laws and Rules of the Board, or Professional Ethics courses.
You will then need to upload your certificate or transcript (if needed) which you should have scanned or taken a screenshot of earlier.
Still Need Hours?
For live hours, CE Broker is a great source for finding courses in your area.
The Complete 2015 Florida Renewal Guide
If you would like further information on renewing your Florida massage license, this guide walks you step-by-step through the process of completing your renewal requirements and filing your renewal form. Just fill out the form below to get your free copy.